Saturday, January 14, 2012

Late Night Musings

I find that life takes on different patterns all the time. My routines can just be solidifying, a nice rhythm forming, and then a twist and all is again chaos. The last 9 weeks have been a whirlwind! We had our lovely baby boy in early November, then we marched right into Thanksgiving, then onto Christmas, and now a new year is beginning. Just a few weeks ago, my routine consisted of getting up early to exercise, walk, pray, read my Bible, make breakfast and then start the day with the children. Now, our sweet baby boy has his more solid sleeping pattern late at night into the wee hours of the morning, and I am finding myself taking advantage of that and staying up during those hours to do things around the house, organize, read, etc. So here I am blogging at 1:30am! It used to irritate me that I could just be getting comfortable with a routine and then life would once again throw changes at me. Now, I am discovering that I am much more willing to just go with the flow! How freeing! I also realize that I need to let go of so many expectations and just rejoice in every small victory that I have each day--cooking some meals to freeze, reading books to the children, finally getting the rest of the laundry folded.... Most importantly, I have realized over the years that not too many things compare to cuddling my little newborns, for all too quickly they are growing up! When I am tempted to feel guilty or complain because I just haven't "gotten everything done," I look at the sweet faces of my children, or I smell the sweet baby's breath of my little Hezekiah, and I remind myself that this time is fleeting. All the pressing needs of today will still be there tomorrow, and all my routines will always be in a state of flux! Above all, I pray that each day I would "count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord" (Philippians 3:8).

No comments:

Post a Comment