Monday, January 7, 2013

Some yummy recipes from this evening and a look ahead!



Tonight we had a nice meal that most of the kids loved.  I wanted to make something meatless for today, so I chose a broccoli casserole that had only a few ingredients and looked really easy to throw together.  I doubled it, and it fed my family just fine, with a little bit left over (I do have lots of little ones still who don't eat quite as much).  Even the most skeptical of the children ended up liking this and going back for seconds or thirds.  My oldest son had 5 helpings!  I was able to make this a meal for us because I added some leftover "party beans" (recipe for this on 12/24 of my blog, "Day 30 and 2 Bonus Recipes) and yummy cornbread with honey butter.

Broccoli casserole 
Serves 4
2 10-oz. packages frozen broccoli spears, thawed and cut into pieces
10 1/4 oz. can cream of celery soup
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 cup baked potato chips, crushed

1. Combine broccoli, soup, 1 cup cheese, and onion in *greased* slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours or until broccoli is soft.
3.  Combine remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and crushed potato chips in a bowl.  Sprinkle on top of casserole 30 minutes before end of cooking time.  Leave uncovered during the last 30 minutes of cooking.

Note: I would possibly skip the crushed potato chip topping.  My family loved this dish, but they weren't crazy about the topping.  They devoured it all anyway, but I think we would all have liked it better without the topping.  Just our preference. 

I served this with fresh homemade cornbread and homemade honey butter, which was a big hit!  Here is the simple recipe for the honey butter:

1 stick of butter, softened
2 Tbsp. sweetened condensed milk
5 Tbsp. honey

Mix together with beater or in food processor until smooth.  Serve with warm bread.  Sooooooo delicious!!

I am preparing to launch a series on my blog on freezer cooking, so stay tuned!!

Also, check out Sally Clarkson's new book, Desperate.  I can't wait to get my copy!! http://desperatemom.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment