Saturday, December 8, 2012

Day 18: Beef Dumpling Soup

We had another busy day yesterday--I guess you could say with 9 children whom we homeschool and run around with, I always have busy days, even when we do "nothing!"  :) 

I was able to get this in the crockpot very quickly in the morning.  I doubled the recipe, and we had a decent amount of leftovers, but not enough for another dinner.  This will make a good lunch for "Mr. President," who didn't get to sample it last night because he was at a friend's house for dinner.

Everyone loved this one!  Dumplings are such fun things to make!  And they add an element of filling to a meal that stretches it farther.  Next time I make this one, I am going to have my younger kids help me drop the dumplings in 1/2 hour before serving.  They would love that!  

Beef Dumpling Soup 
(Makes 5-6 servings)

1 lb. beef stewing meat, cubed
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
6 cups hot water
2 carrots, peeled and shredded (I simply used a bag of shredded carrots I had on hand)
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 tomato, peeled and chopped (hint: drop fresh tomatoes into boiling water and skins come right off very easily)
 
For dumplings:
1 cup buttermilk biscuit mix
1 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
6 Tbsp. milk

1. Place meat in slow cooker.  Sprinkle with onion soup mix.  Pour water over the meat.  If desired, add more flavor to the broth by adding a couple of garlic cloves (minced) and about 1 tsp. of dill weed.

2. Add carrots, celery, and tomato.

3. Cover. Cook on low, 4-6 hours, or until meat is tender.

4. 1/2 hour before serving, combine biscuit mix and parsley.  Stir in milk with fork until moistened.  Drop dumplings by teaspoonfuls into the pot.

5. Cover.  Cook on high for 30 more minutes.

Have a blessed Saturday!!

Stay tuned for my next post: Breakfast Skillet in the Crockpot!!  As I write this, my children are eating this meal and raving about it. Breakfast in the crockpot is so wonderful, especially on busy mornings when we are going somewhere or when I go on a long morning run and don't have as much time to cook breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment