Friday, December 14, 2012

Day 24 and Day 25: An Easy Dinner and then a Delicious Breakfast!




Yesterday was cleaning day, so I wanted to make something super simple.  I found an appealing recipe entitled "Easy Stuffed Shells."  This sounded like something try on a busy day like yesterday.  There are just three ingredients in the recipe, and I had this in the pot in under five minutes!  It can cook on low all day, or on high for 3 hours, which is nice if you aren't able to get it ready early in the day, as long as you get it in the pot three hours before you want to eat it, you are still ok!  The kids all seemed to like this one, even the green beans.  They told me it was kind of like lasagna.  I do have a couple of kids who aren't crazy about lasagna, but they still ate it.

My mother is arriving this morning from Miami for a 2-week stay.  We are busy getting ready for her arrival, so I thought it was a perfect day to make breakfast for Day 25.  We are having a pizza party for my daughter's birthday party tonight, so no need to crock for dinner.  As I have said before, it is simply lovely to wake up to the aroma of a nice, hot breakfast already cooked and ready to go!  This Crockpot Apple Oatmeal recipe is a favorite of almost everyone in the family.  Last night, I took my oldest three children to see the midnight premiere of "The Hobbit," so my amazing and wonderful husband actually got the Apple Oatmeal ready and in the pot!!  Gotta love that!  Did I mention that he is my hero???  :)

Easy Stuffed Shells
Makes 4-6 Servings (I doubled this, and the children ate almost all of it--Todd and I went out on a dinner date last night)

20-oz bag frozen stuffed shells (I actually used a 64-oz bag of jumbo stuffed shells, and this was fine with only doubling the sauce)
15-oz. can marinara or spaghetti sauce
15-oz. can green beans, drained (I used the French cut for this recipe)

1. Place the shells around the edge of a greased slow cooker pot. 

2. Cover with marinara sauce. 

3. Pour green beans in the center.

4. Cover.  Cook on low 8 hours or on high for 3 hours.

5. Serve with garlic toast and salad.  

Variation:  Reverse steps 2 and 3. Double the amount of marinara sauce and pour over both the shells and the green beans.

Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal
Serves about 8 (I always double this and we normally don't have leftovers)

4 cups Milk
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 T. Melted Butter
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 cups Oats (not quick oats)
2 cups Apples, peeled and chopped
1 cup Dates or Raisins (optional)

Spray a large crock pot with nonstick spray. Combine and mix well. Cook on low overnight or 8-9 hours. Stir well before serving.  Serves about 8. 

Have a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment