Saturday, December 1, 2012

Days 11 and 12

Yesterday (Day 11), I was at a speech and debate practice tournament all day with my 4 oldest, so I just wanted to so something basic in the crockpot before leaving in the morning.  I decided to get a batch of black beans ready to use throughout the week on salads, in enchiladas, etc.  I used to buy mostly canned beans, but most canned vegetables are full of salt, including beans!  So I discovered the easy method of cooking dry beans from scratch I the crockpot. This way, I can get the beans I want ready for any recipe without all the added salt.

1 1/2 cups cooked beans= (1) 14.5 - oz can beans

Day 11
Slow Cooker Dry Beans
Here are the instructions for 1 pound of beans.  I buy my beans in bulk, so I just scoop out what I want from the bucket and cover with two inches of water then cook on low 6-8 hours.  These are more "formal" instructions.

Ingredients:
I pound dry beans (any variety, except see note below)

Directions:
Rinse the beans, and make sure there are no little rocks that might have been missed.  Place in the slow cooker and add water to come about 3 inches above the beans. Cook on low overnight, or for 6-8 hours.

After you cook the beans once in your slow cooker, you'll be able to determine whether you need to use less water (about 2 inches, instead 3 inches). It will vary depending on how hot your slow cooker runs.  Use a slotted spoon to remove the beans if there is extra water (or strain in a colander).

Yield: 4 1/2 to 5 cups
Total prep time: 5 minutes
Total cooking time: 6 to 8 hours

NOTE:
*Cook extra beans and freeze in bags to use later. I freeze mine in 1 1/2-cup portions so that it's easy to switch out a bag for a can of beans.

*Though all dry beans may look alike, beans that have been on the shelf (or in your pantry) a long time can take up to twice as long to cook completely.  However, there is nothing wrong with eating them once they're cooked.

*Split peas and lentils cook much faster than larger beans such as pintos, black and white.  They are often cooked in a recipe dry, while larger beans are cooked before they are added to other recipes.

*IMPORTANT NOTE:
You can cook any beans in the slow cooker, it be aware that kidney beans can have a toxin called phytohaemagglutinin and need to be brought to a boiling temperature to destroy the toxin.  So boil the kidney beans for 10 minutes before transferring them to the slow cooker to cook completely.  This step is not necessary for other types of beans.

Day 12
Today we went and cut down our Christmas tree, so I wanted to make something easy.  I decided to make a family "staple"--Red Beans and Rice! My family eats this really well, and it is very easy and tasty.  You can use canned beans or beans cooked first in the crockpot (don't try to use dry beans! :))

This is from a cookbook, but I have long ago lost the book in which I originally found it.  So here it is from memory:

Red Beans (and Rice)
1 onion, chopped

1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cans Red (Kidney) Beans
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp cumin
3 Tbsp. fresh, chopped cilantro
3/4 cup water

Sauté the green bell pepper, onion, and garlic til onion is translucent.  Transfer to slow cooker.  Drain and rinse beans, and add to slow cooker.  Add all other ingredients, mix thoroughly and cook in slow cooker on low 4-6 hours or on high 2-3 hours.  Serve with your favorite rice.  I always make brown rice in my rice cooker to go with this--perfect meal!  It's tasty, cheap, healthy, and filling!

I double this recipe for our family, and we always have enough for leftovers.

Happy crocking, y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment